Nursing Early Assurance Track for Incoming Freshmen
The NMSU School of Nursing is offering a Nursing Early Assurance Track for eligible high school seniors interested in earning a Bachelor Degree of Science in Nursing (BSN). The Nursing Early Assurance Track is a ‘direct entry’ program for high school seniors that plan on majoring in nursing at NMSU. Candidates for this program apply to the School of Nursing through a special application process. This track is available to students applying to attend the Las Cruces, Grants and Alamogordo campuses of NMSU. Students graduating from an early college high school are encouraged to apply to the Nursing Early Assurance Track and will be placed in a separate cohort depending on the number of credits and nursing pre-requisites they have completed. Admission to this track is through a competitive application process.
- Application Deadline Extended – July 1, 2019
- Program Information and Application Checklist
- Nursing Early Assurance Track – Application Form
As Freshmen, students in the Nursing Early Assurance Track would be given conditional acceptance to the BSN program while they complete their nursing pre-requisite coursework and would begin the nursing curriculum in their Sophomore year.
- Eliminate the uncertainty of having to apply to the nursing program after completing pre-requisite courses
- Enrichment activities during freshman and sophomore years
- Access to School of Nursing advisors, faculty mentors and nursing student peer advisors.
Maintaining Eligibility for Admission to the Nursing Program
- Students accepted to and enrolled in the Nursing Early Assurance Track are expected to follow the School of Nursing recommended program of study which includes carrying a full-time course load.
- Students are expected to enter the program within 2 years of first enrolling at NMSU as a freshman. Exceptions are given for military commitments. All other exceptions require a formal petition.
- Students enrolled in the Nursing Early Assurance Track must complete all of their nursing pre-requisite courses at NMSU main campus (or the Alamogordo or Grants campus if that is where the student is enrolled). Any exceptions require permission from a nursing advisor.
- Students enrolled in the Nursing Early Assurance Track must maintain a nursing pre-requisite GPA of 3.2, which is the average minimum GPA of students entering the nursing program.
- Students in the Nursing Early Assurance Track must adhere to the School of Nursing’s professional standards and academic integrity
Students must take and pass an admission assessment exam (HESI Entrance Exam), scoring a minimum of 75% in all categories, in order to begin the nursing program. This exam is generally taken the semester before entering the nursing program.
For more Information on Nursing Early Assurance Track policies, please refer to the BSN Handbook below.